We are committed to ensuring the safety and well-being of all young people involved in our sport. The role of chaperone is part of that commitment.
We are committed to providing the best possible support for chaperones and the young people they work with and have under their care and guidance. The chaperone also plays an important role in creating a positive team and club culture, in fostering cooperation and team spirit.
Use of Chaperones
North Sunshine Eagles SC may appoint and use chaperones for events hosted by the club, tours and away trips when any of the athletes involved are under 18 years of age.
The chaperone to athlete ratio will be at least 1:8, one chaperone for every eight athletes under the age of 18.
Chaperones will be appointed for all away trips that include at least one overnight stay.
This policy applies to anyone, whether they are in a paid or voluntary capacity, that is appointed as a chaperone for North Sunshine Eagles SC. This policy will continue to apply to a person even after they have stopped their association or employment with North Sunshine Eagles SC if disciplinary action, related to their role as chaperone, has commenced.
The chaperone’s role varies from one team or event to the next. The final list of responsibilities will be determined by the coach or manager, depending on the age of the athletes, the nature of the event and the skills and qualifications of other accompanying adults.
A chaperone accompanying a team or group of athletes will be required to:
- ensure the schedule is followed, for example, curfews, meal times, training sessions;
- make sure athletes have any clothing or equipment they need for competition or training, for example, the right uniform or strip and relevant accreditations;
- organise and prepare any “in house” meals and supervise athlete involvement in meal preparation and clear up;
- enforce the rules and report any infraction of the club’s Code of Conduct or Member Protection Policy;
- handle any emergencies with common sense and according to our codes and guidelines.
- accompany an injured or ill athlete who needs medical attention;
- make sure other relevant club policies are adhered to, for example, Dropping Off and Collection of Children.
- work cooperatively with team officials, including coaches and managers;
- help supervise travel schedules and travel logistics;
- not consume any alcoholic beverages whilst on chaperone duty;
- safeguard the athletes tickets, keys, valuables and money when appropriate;
- maintain a contact list of key people, such as managers, coaches, parents, emergency.
Any person being considered for appointment to the role of Chaperone must:
- be over the age of 18;
- have completed a Working with Children Check;
- be a paid up member of the club;
- possess a current driver’s license;
- provide a brief written overview of any relevant experience;
- have a current first aid certificate (desirable);
- provide details for two referees who can attest to the applicant’s suitability to the role.
Where possible, chaperones will be given their own separate room. However, on occasion, chaperones may be required to share a room with another chaperone, the coach or manager or another accompanying adult.
A chaperone may share a room with his or her son or daughter.
Remuneration and reimbursement
Chaperones are appointed on a voluntary or paid basis, depending on the circumstances.
A chaperone may be required to pay upfront for things like groceries, accommodation or petrol. In this case, all receipts must be retained for reimbursement upon return.
If a chaperone uses a personal vehicle, mileage costs will be reimbursed based on current Australian Tax Office rates. An accurate log of the journey must be kept.
An Expense Form must be completed listing all expenses for reimbursement and given, along with original receipts, to the coach or manager.
|I, _______________________ have read and understood the policy and will abide by it as a member of North Sunshine Eagles SC.|
< Print a hard copy, and be sure to add your name, date and sign. Please hand this document into the NSESC Office, Larissa Reserve, Larissa Rd, St Albans. >